It is well documented that water is an essential component for the survival of all living beings and development processes on earth. Water is used for domestic purposes, industrial processes and agriculture. All these processes require good quality water. River water and underground water is generally used for almost all these processes. So it is very important to know the water quality of sources time to time for the sustainable development. In this paper we have discussed the quality of ground water, surface water and river water of Chandigarh and nearby places such as Parwanoo, Panchkula, S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali) on the basis of reports available online. The different water quality parameters such as hardness, alkalinity, Ca2+, Mg2+, BOD, COD, TDS, pH, conductivity, temperature etc was considered for this review study. Although very few studies have been conducted to check the water quality of this area but on carefully reviewing the available reports and published work, it has been observed that the water quality in some of the places is below the standards of water quality prescribed by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). Proper functioning of Sewerage Treatment Plants (STPs) need to be checked and Industrial waste should be properly treated before going to the catchment areas.
- ADSORBS (2010), Central Pollution Control Board, Report on pollution status of river Ghaggar,assessment and development study of river basins (ADSORBS/42/2010)
- Aggarwal R., Arora S., (2012), A Study of Water Quality of Kaushalya River In The Submountaneous Shivalik Region, International Journal Of Scientific & Technology Research Volume 1, Issue 8, ISSN 2277-8616
- APHA (2005), Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater, 21th ed. American Public Health Association
- Balan I. N., Shiv Kumar M., Madan Kumar P. D. (2012), An Assessment of Groundwater quality using water quality index in Chennai, Tamil nadu, India, Chron Young Sci, 3, 146-150. DOI: 10.4103/2229-5186.98688 cgwb.gov.in/District_Profile/Punjab/SAS%20Nagar.pdf
- Diersing Nancy (2009), Water Quality: Frequently Asked Questions, Florida BrookKeyss National Marine Sanctuary, Key West, FL
- Durfer C.M. and Backer E. (1964), Public water supplies of the three largest cities in the U.S.,
- US Geological Survey, water supply, paper no. 1812, 364 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchkula
- EPA’s Water Quality Standards (1993), Guidance Document of Dynamic Modeling and Translators August 1993, found in Appendix J of EPA’s Water Quality Standards Handbook:
- FAD 25(2047) C, 2009 BIS 10500 - Drinking water quality standardsspecification (IS 10500 second revision, 2009), Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110002)
- Golubev I. M. and Zimin V. P. (1994), On the standard of total hardness in drinking water (In Russian.), Gig Sanit. 3, 22-23 http://censusindia.gov.in/default.aspx http://panchkula.nic.in/
- Johnson D.L., Ambrose S.H., Bassett T.J., Bowen M.L., Crummey D.E., Isaacson J.S., Johnson
- D.N., Lamb P., Saul M. and Winter Nelson A.E. (1997),, Meanings of environmental terms, Journal of Environmental Quality 26, 581-589.Doi:10.2134/jeq1997.00472425002600030002x
- Kaur S. and Malik P. (2012), Impact of Industrial Development on Groundwater & Surface Water
- Quality in Industry Dominating Sectors of Chandigarh, India, Journal of Environment and Ecology, ISSN 2157-6092, Vol.3, No.1. DOI:10.5296/jee.v3i1.2182
- Lahiry S.C. (1996), Impact on the environment due to industrial development in Chhatisgarh region of Madhya Pradesh. Finance India, 10 (1), 133-136.
- Mary Helen P.A., Jayasree S., Antony Johnson J., Belsha Jaya Edith I.H., Chittarasu, (2011),
- Seasonal Variations In PhysicoChemical, Parameters Of Water In Coconut Husk Retting Area, Parakkani, Tamil Nadu, International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 1(6).
- Memon M., Soomro M.S., Akhtar M.S. and Memon K.S. (2011), Drinking water quality assessment in Southern Sindh (Pakistan), Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 177, 39-50
- Muzalevskaya L. S., Lobkovskii A. G. and Kukarina N. I. (1993), Incidence of chole- and nephrolithiasis, osteoarthrosis, and salt arthropathies and drinking water hardness (In Russian.), Gigiena Sanitariia, 12, 17-20
- Palanna O.G., Engineering Chemistry (2009), Engineering Chemistry, Published by Tata McGraw-Hill Education Pvt. Ltd., ISBN 10: 0070146101 / ISBN 13: 9780070146105
- Sawyer C. N. and McCarty P. I. (1967), Chemistry of sanitary engineers, McGraw- Hill, New York
- Sharma P, Khitoliya R.K., Kumar S. (2013), A Comparative Study of Sewerage Treatment
- Plants With Different Technologies In The Vicinity Of Chandigarh City, IOSR Journal Of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT) e-ISSN: 2319-2402,p- ISSN: 2319-2399. 4(5), 113-121. DOI: 10.9790/2402-045113121
- Sidhu N, Madhuri, S. R. and Herojeet R. K. (2013), Groundwater quality variation with respect to aquifer dispositioning in urbanized watershed of chandigarh, india, International Journal of Environment, Ecology, Family and Urban Studies (IJEEFUS) , ISSN 2250-0065, 3(2), 87-98. sis.gov.eg http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/Templates/Articles/tmpArticles.aspx?ArtID=3069
- Verma R., Kumar V., Thakur P.,Sharma M. (2011), A Systematic Approach to Engineering Chemistry, Chapter-1, 30.
- World Health Organization 1996, Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality, Health criteria and other supporting information, Geneva, 2nd edition, 2, 237-240
- Water Quality of major rivers in Himachal Pardesh monitored under Minars and State Water
- Quality Monitoring Programme, during 2011-12, http://hppcb.nic.in/waterquality/wq12.pdf
- Water Quality of major rivers, Lakes and Dams in Himachal Pradesh During 2007-08, http:// hppcb.nic.in/waterquality/wq08.pdf